Back to All Events
Join Karen for "Narrative in Clay", a five-day, figurative ceramic sculpture workshop with Alessandro Gallo. It will be held from May 13 – 17, 2019 at Karen Russo Studio in Elmira, OR.
Alessandro Gallo will share his sculpting process, from hand-building a figure using solid clay construction to painting the figure realistically after firing. Throughout the immersive, five-day workshop, every participant will be encouraged to develop one small to medium-size figure (15 – 20” in height).
With the help of demonstrations and videos, the workshop will cover all stages of Alessandro's process:
• Concept and narrative
• Reference preparation
• Hand-building solid piece using a pipe armature
• Roughing in clay, identifying main shapes, planes and volumes
• Defining progressively the piece in all its parts
• Cutting the solid piece in sections
• Hollowing and reassembling
• Sculpting and refining
• Post-firing, glues and tools
• Painting and finishing techniques
Days 1 – 4: Sculpting solid in clay using an armature
Day 5: Painting demonstration
Alessandro Gallo was born in 1974 in Genoa, Italy and is now based in Helena, Montana. After studying Law at the University of Genoa, Gallo moved to London where he studied at Saint Martin’s College of Art and at Chelsea School of Art and Design. Gallo has shown internationally and his work was featured in the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London and in the 54th Venice Biennale in 2011. In 2012, he was awarded a first place grant from the Virginia A. Groot Foundation. In 2014 and 2016 he had solo shows at the Jonathan Levine Gallery in New York. Alessandro was selected as a Demonstrating Artist for 2018 NCECA (National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts).
Work featured ("Elevator", "Metro", "Tattoo Iguana") and photos provided by Alessandro Gallo.
• $675 fee includes instruction, demonstrations, 50 lbs. of clay
• 12-student enrollment will be accepted on first-come, first-served basis
• Experience in figure sculpting and hand-building is essential
• No bisque firing will be provided for this workshop
• Contact Karen Russo at email@example.com
• Workshop will be held at Karen Russo Studio in Elmira, OR
• Links to Alessandro Gallo's website and Instagram account